Dr. Holzapfel attended BYU, Hebrew Union College, and the University of California, Irvine (BA, MA, and PhD) with an emphasis in Middle Eastern studies, Jewish history, ancient history, American history, and nineteenth-century American religious history. He married Jeni Broberg in 1978 and is the father of five children. Richard came to BYU as an assistant professor in 1993, teaching in the Church History and Doctrine, Ancient Scripture, and History Departments, including teaching the honors sections of the Doctrine and Covenants and New Testament. He taught at the BYU Jerusalem Center for Near Eastern Studies from 1997 through 1998. He served as the publications director of the Religious Studies Center at BYU before being called as a mission president in the Alabama Birmingham Mission. In addition to teaching and filling various committee assignments at BYU, Richard continues a heavy research, writing, and publication agenda.
Richard Neitzel Holzapfel
Richard Neitzel Holzapfel
Books by This Author
Books Edited by This Author
- Regional Studies in Latter-day Saint Church History: The British Isles
- "Behold the Lamb of God": An Easter Celebration
- Teach One Another Words of Wisdom: Selections from the "Religious Educator"
- To Save the Lost: An Easter Celebration
- Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer
- Within These Prison Walls: Lorenzo Snow’s Record Book, 1886–1897
- The Voice of My Servants: Apostolic Messages on Teaching, Learning, and Scripture
- Buscad Diligentemente: Selecciones de "El Educador de Religión"
- Buscai Diligentemente: Seleções de "o Educador Religioso"
- My Redeemer Lives!
- By Study and by Faith: Selections from the "Religious Educator"
- My Dear Sister: Letters between Joseph F. Smith and His Sister Martha Ann Smith Harris
Articles by This Author
- Jesus and the Ossuaries: First-Century Jewish Burial Practices and the Lost Tomb of Jesus in "Behold the Lamb of God"
- Introduction in Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer
- The Early Years, 1805-19 in Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer
- The Nauvoo Temple, 1841 in Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer
- The Prophet's Final Charge to the Twelve, 1844 in Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer
- Wilford Woodruff's 1897 Testimony in Banner of the Gospel: Wilford Woodruff
- The 1911 Dedication of the Oliver Cowdery Monument in Richmond, Missouri in Days Never to Be Forgotten: Oliver Cowdery
- “John the Revelator”: The Written Revelations of John Taylor in Champion of Liberty: John Taylor
- Foreword in Celebrating Easter
- To the Least, the Last, and the Lost in To Save the Lost
- The Passion of Jesus Christ in Sperry Symposium Classics: The New Testament
- 1841 El Templo de Nauvoo
- 1844 la última asignación del profeta a los doce
- La Pasión de Jesucristo
- Uno por uno: El modelo de servicio del quinto evangelio
- 1805–1819: Os Primeiros Anos
- Um por Um, o Modelo de Serviço do Salvador
- The Da Vinci Code, the Gospel of Judas, and Other Bad Ideas in Religious Educator Vol. 8 No. 2 · 2007
- One by One: The Fifth Gospel’s Model of Service in A Book of Mormon Treasury
- Mormon, the Man and the Message in The Book of Mormon: Fourth Nephi Through Moroni, From Zion to Destruction
- One by One: The Fifth Gospel’s Model of Service in The Book of Mormon: 3 Nephi 9–30, This Is My Gospel
- Being Anxiously Engaged: Forward in Review Magazine Fall 2008
- Review of Mormons in the Piazza: History of the Latter-day Saints in Italy in Religious Educator Vol. 18 No. 3 · 2017
- Becoming Master Teachers in Religious Educator Vol. 12 No. 1 · 2011
- Return to the Joseph Smith Family Farm in Religious Educator Vol. 11 No. 3 · 2010
- The Doctrine and Covenants: A Roundtable Discussion in Religious Educator Vol. 11 No. 2 · 2010
- Return to the Sacred Grove in Religious Educator Vol. 11 No. 2 · 2010
- Doctrine and Covenants: A Roundtable Discussion, Part 2 in Religious Educator Vol. 10 No. 3 · 2009
- Doctrine and Covenants: A Roundtable Discussion, Part 1 in Religious Educator Vol. 10 No. 2 · 2009
- Lessons from the Scriptures: A Conversation with Keith H. Meservy in Religious Educator Vol. 10 No. 2 · 2009
- Jerusalem Program Reborn: An Interview with the Executive Director in Religious Educator Vol. 10 No. 1 · 2009
- The Dead Sea Scrolls: A Roundtable Discussion Celebrating the Sixtieth Anniversary of Their Discovery, Part 2 in Religious Educator Vol. 9 No. 2 · 2008
- The Dead Sea Scrolls: A Roundtable Discussion Celebrating the 60th Anniversary of Their Discovery, Part 1 in Religious Educator Vol. 8 No. 3 · 2007