Charles Swift was an associate professor of ancient scripture and the Religious Education Teaching Fellow at Brigham Young University when this was written. He is the recipient of an Alcuin Fellowship. Born in Dallas, Texas, he joined the LDS Church his freshman year in college. A year later, he served a mission in Japan. For his PhD dissertation, he completed a literary study of the vision of the Tree of Life and how it conveys ideas about teaching and learning. He still emphasizes a literary approach in his research, believing that one of the most powerful ways to understand the scriptures is to understand how the Lord uses the written word—the story—to convey his doctrines. His teaching style is one of lecture and discussion, encouraging students to learn as they try to articulate in class what they are seeing in the scriptures. He and his wife have three children and one daughter-in-law.
Articles by This Author
- “After This Manner Did He Speak”: Mormon’s Discourse on Faith, Hope, and Charity in Religious Educator Vol. 19 No. 2 · 2018
- Profiles of the Prophets: Brigham Young in Religious Educator Vol. 8 No. 1 · 2007
- The Literary Power of the Doctrine and Covenants in Religious Educator Vol. 10 No. 1 · 2009
- When Less Is More: The Reticent Narrator in the Story of Alma and Amulek in Religious Educator Vol. 13 No. 1 · 2012
- "For Our Profit and Learning”: One Method for Likening the Scriptures in Religious Educator Vol. 16 No. 2 · 2015
- The Literary Power of the Book of Mormon in Living the Book of Mormon: Abiding by Its Precepts
- The Ages of the Patriarchs in the Joseph Smith Translation in A Witness for the Restoration
- Three Stories in My Redeemer Lives!
- “It Filled My Soul with Exceedingly Great Joy”: Lehi’s Vision of Teaching and Learning in The Things Which My Father Saw
- The Bread of Life Discourse as Dialogue in How the New Testament Came to Be
- "The Tongue Is a Fire": The Symbolic Language of James 3 in Shedding Light on the New Testament
- Upon Mount Shelem: The Liminal Experience of the Brother of Jared in Illuminating the Jaredite Records
- Samuel the Lamanite: Key Prophet in the Returning Prophet Type-Scene in Samuel the Lamanite
- "I Beheld a Tree": Lehi's Dream and Revelation in They Shall Grow Together