John W. Welch is the Robert K. Thomas Professor of Law at the J. Reuben Clark Law School. He is the founder of FARMS, editor-in-chief of BYU Studies, and a section officer in the Society of Biblical Literature. He teaches classes on biblical law and Jewish, Greek, and Roman laws in the New Testament. He was educated at Brigham Young, Oxford, and Duke Universities. He has made a number of significant discoveries in scripture research, including chiasmus in the Book of Mormon and seeing the parable of the Good Samaritan as an allegory of the full plan of salvation. He is married to Jeannie Sutton, and they have four children and fourteen grandchildren.
- Welch, John W.
Welch, John W.
Articles/Chapters by: John W. Welch
- 3. The Calling of a Prophet from The Book of Mormon: First Nephi, the Doctrinal Foundation
- 2. Chiasmus in the Book of Mormon from Book of Mormon Authorship: New Light on Ancient Origins
- A King James Vocabulary Lesson from RE 6, no. 1 (2005)
- Teaching the Usage of Thee and Thou from RE 4, no. 1 (2003)
- The Testimony of Alma: “Give Ear to My Words” from RE 11, no. 2 (2010)
- 19. Echoes from the Sermon on the Mount from The Sermon on the Mount in Latter-day Scripture
- The Sermon on the Mount in the Light of the Temple from RE 12, no. 1 (2011)
- The Book of Mormon as a Keystone of Church Administration from RE 12, no. 2 (2011)
- The Role of Evidence in Religious Discussion from No Weapon Shall Prosper: New Light on Sensitive Issues
- 2. The Book of Mormon as the Keystone of Church Administration from A Firm Foundation: Church Organization and Administration
- 9. Oliver Cowdery as Editor, Defender, and Justice of the Peace in Kirtland from Days Never to Be Forgotten: Oliver Cowdery
- Ten Testimonies of Jesus Christ from the Book of Mormon from A Book of Mormon Treasury
- 4. Lehi's Last Will and Testament: A Legal Approach from The Book of Mormon: Second Nephi, the Doctrinal Structure
- The Legal Cause of Action Against Jesus in John 18:29–30 from Celebrating Easter
- Early Mormonism and Early Christianity: Some Providential Similarites from Window of Faith: Latter-day Saint Perspectives on World History
- "All Their Creeds Were an Abomination": A Brief Look at Creeds as Part of the Apostasy from Prelude to the Restoration: Apostasy to the Restored Church
- 13. The Factor of Fear in the Trial of Jesus from Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior
- 2. The Appearance of the Father and the Son to Joseph Smith in 1820 from Exploring the First Vision
- 17. Reading 2 Peter as a Farewell Text from The Ministry of Peter, the Chief Apostle