- Size. The size of the page and the print of the original have been enlarged by about thirty percent to facilitate reading.
- Leading and point size. Whatever variations occur in the space between lines and print size in the original are imitated in the translation.
- Pagination. The content of each translated page may vary by as much as four or five lines from the content of the Welsh original; all major and minor headings are on the same page as the original.
- Paragraphs and sentences. The tendency of nineteenth-century writers was to use fewer paragraph breaks and much longer sentences than might seem appropriate today. However, for the sake of flavor the inordinate paragraph size and the seemingly interminable sentence length are imitated in the translation.
- Brackets and parentheses. The only editorial comments in the translation are those of Dan Jones from the original; consequently, all brackets and parentheses are his.
- Italicized words. Italics in the original are retained in the translation. Besides the normal practice of italicizing the names of periodicals, books, ships, etc., the editor used italics either to provide emphasis or to indicate the use of a borrowed word or phrase from English.
- Poetry. The primary focus in translating the poetry of Udgorn Seion has been its content; thus, poetry translations are “informational” rather than poetic.
- Titles of foreign-language publications. To facilitate reading, I have used the English translations for all foreign-language titles that appear in the text. The following is a list of these translated titles and their corresponding Welsh titles. For the items authored by John Davis or Dan Jones, I have indicated the page reference in Welsh Mormon Writings where further information is available.
The Ancient Religion Anew Yr Hen Grefydd Newydd WMW, 176
Assassination of Joseph and Llofruddiad Joseph a
Hyrum Smith! Hyrum Smith! WMW, 192
Balance Sheets Tafleni Cyfrifiadol WMW, 227
Book of Hymns Llyfr Hymnau WMW, 159
Book of Mormon Llyfr Mormon WMW, 149
Book of the Church Llyfr yr Eglwys WMW, 97
The Compilement Y Casgl WMW, 162
Conversations Ymddyddanion WMW, 115
Counter Proofs to the Spaulding Gwrthbrofion i’r Spaulding
Story about the Book of Story am Llyfr Mormon
Mormon WMW, 185
The Days of Noah Dyddiau Noah WMW, 114
Doctrine and Covenants Athrawiaeth a Chyfammodau WMW, 142
First General Epistle Epistol Cyffredinol Cyntaf WMW, 94
Go, and Teach Ewch a Dysgwch WMW, 105
The Great First Cause Yr Achos Mawr Cyntaf WMW, 129
The Guide to Zion Yr Arweinydd i Seion WMW, 190
Invitations to Any Place Gwahoddiadau i Unrhyw Le WMW, 182
Lectures on Faith Darlithiau ar Ffydd WMW, 108
Licenses for Meetinghouses Trwyddedi Addoldai WMW, 254
Membership Certificate Dangosiad Aelodiaeth WMW, 225
Pearl of Great Price Perl o Fawr Bris WMW, 157
Preaching to the Spirits in Prison Pregethu i’r Ysbrydion yn Ngharchar WMW, 103
Proclamation Annerchiad WMW, 177
Prophet of the Jubilee Prophwyd y Jubili WMW, 27
Prove All Things Profwch Bob Peth WMW, 83
The Reverend and the Boy Parchedig a’r Bachgenyn WMW, 79
A Review of the Treatise of Adolygiad ar Lyfr W. Jones, Bethesda WMW, 146
The Scriptural Treasury Yr Eurgrawn Ysgrythyrol WMW, 65
Testimony of the Saint Tystiolaeth y Sant WMW, 112
That which is in Part Yr Hyn Sydd o Ran WMW, 100
The Times Yr Amserau
Treatise on Miracles Traethawd ar Wyrthiau WMW, 130
Treatises on Miracles Traethodau ar Wyrthiau WMW, 154
Two Songs of N. Ddu Dwy Gân N. Ddu WMW, 129
Unpopularity of Mormonism Anmhoblogrwydd Mormoniaeth WMW, 195
Was it God Who Sent Joseph Ai Duw a Ddanfonodd
Smith? Joseph Smith? WMW, 193
What Is Mormonism? Pa Beth yw Mormoniaeth? WMW, 184
What Is Saving Grace Pa Beth yw Grâs Cadwedigol? WMW, 187
Who Is the God of the Saints? Pwy Yw Duw y Saint? WMW, 171
Zion’s Trumpet Udgorn Seion WMW, 72
9. Punctuation. Some changes in punctuation and capitalization have been made to facilitate reading.
10. Typesetting errors. The typesetters of the original sometimes inverted letters, cited verses that did not match the accompanying scriptural quotation, left incomplete sentences, misspelled words, or committed other typesetting errors. Lacking an unobtrusive method of indicating such aspects of the original in the translation and fearing that confusion would result for today’s reader if such flaws were duplicated, I decided to “correct” these kinds of imperfections in the translation.
11. Place names. The modern spelling is used for all place names. The name in English is used for places that have both an English name and a Welsh name (e. g. Swansea for Abertawe, Cardiff for Caerdydd, and Blackwood for Coed-duon).
12. Proper names. I have corrected the spelling of Biblical and historical names; however, I have preserved the spelling used for all other proper names even when the same individual’s name has variant spellings.
13. Annotated contents. Instead of detracting from the facsimile appearance of the translation by inserting numbers and notes, I have prepared an article-by-article commentary of all thirty-nine issues. In many instances I simply give a brief statement of the article’s contents, together with an indication of a source if the article is borrowed. I provide more detailed observations for those articles that contain historical information pertinent to the nineteenth-century movement of the Latter-day Saints in Wales.