Appendix D

Biograp​hical Sketches

Ronald D. Dennis, The Call of Zion: The Story of the First Welsh Mormon Emigrants (Provo, UT: Religious Studies Center, Brigham Young University, 1987), 106-21.

Bowen, David D. (H73), Llanelli, was the cook on board the Hartley. After his wife and child died at St. Louis, he married Phoebe Evans (BV51). He left a sizeable journal which contains many interesting details about the crossing, life in St. Louis, and the trek across the plains. He died in 1904 in Nephi, Utah.

Clark, William (H40), Cardiganshire, was widowed while on the Mississippi River. He married Eliza Thomas (BV 146) on 14 September 1849 while on the plains. He died in 1890 at Malad, Idaho. Eliza died nine years later, also at Malad.

Daniels, Daniel (BV 128), Carmarthen, crossed the plains with his wife, Mary and their two sons in 1849. He returned to Wales with Dan Jones and Thomas Jeremy in 1852 to serve a mission. He succeeded Dan Jones as mission president in 1856 and became editor of the Udgorn Seion for two years. He died in 1893 at Malad, Idaho.

David, Morgan (H12), Llanelli, left Wales with his wife, six daughters and son-in-law, David D. Bowen (H73). Morgan’s wife, Eliza, and married daughter, Mary, died at St. Louis. He was eighteen years a Baptist before converting to Mormonism. He died in 1888 at Spanish Fork Utah. His daughter Elizabeth married William Thomas; she died in 1890. Ann married William Warner; she died in 1900. Hannah married Morgan Hughes (BV111); she died in 1925. Emma married Alfred Rees; she died in 1915. Rachel married George Chambers; she died in 1920.

Davis, Daniel (BV89), Carmarthen, died on 9 May 1849 on the Missouri, leaving his wife, Sarah, the responsibility of one son and four daughters. Traveling with the Davises was their married daughter, Letitia; her husband, Benjamin Thomas; and their one-year-old son, Daniel. Letitia gave birth to a baby girl, Hannah Maria, the only baby to survive that was born during the crossing, on 13 May 1849 just before the Buena Vista emigrants arrived at Council Bluffs. Sarah Davis died in 1864 in Box Elder County, Utah.

Davis, Eliza (BV40) was traveling as a maid to someone else of the Buena Vista group. Apparently things were not to her liking after arriving at Council Bluffs, for just seven days later Thomas Jeremy made this entry in his journal: “Betsy Davis went back” (24 May 1849).

Davis, Hugh (BV222), Liverpool, was the only “schoolmaster” in this group. His wife, Sarah, was the first person of the original 326 to die. Mary Oubery Davis, the daughter, appears in the 1850 federal census for Utah as Mrs. James Switzler and was consequently among the first of the Welsh Mormons to have a “cross-cultural” marriage.

Davis, Margaret (BV209) was the young mother of three-year-old David and baby Griffith. She died 2 May 1849 on the Missouri River just one day out of St. Loius; Griffith died six days later. David was with Isaac and Eliza Nash as they crossed the plains a few weeks after his being orphaned, and he appears in the 1850 census with the Dan Jones family in Manti.

Davis, Sarah (BV223) died on the Buena Vista just eight days after departing Liverpool, the first person of the original 326 people to die. Her health, according to Dan Jones, was very poor even as she embarked with her husband, Hugh (BV222), and daughter Mary (BV224). Jones preached her funeral sermon and described the occasion in considerable detail in his account of the crossing.

Davis, Sarah Thomas (BV90), Carmarthenshire, left two married children in Wales. Her husband, Daniel, died 9 May 1849 on the Missouri River and left her and four daughters and a son. Sarah died in 1864 in Perry, Utah.

David, Thomas (H62), Montgomeryshire, became disenchanted with Mormonism after all the difficulties encountered in reaching Council Bluffs and after the death of his wife and four-year-old son, Stephen. Thomas and eight of his nine remaining children settled in northwestern Missouri instead of continuing on. His nineteen-year-old son, Thomas, elected to remain with the main body and went to his grave a faithful Mormon. Thomas Sr. died in 1891 in Kansas; Thomas Jr. died in 1903 in Idaho.

Davis, William (BV232), Rhymni, and his family were the first of William Henshaw’s many converts in South Wales. They were baptized in 19 February 1843. William and his wife, Rachel, settled in Kanarraville, Utah. He died there in 1865. Rachel died in 1882, also at Kanarraville.

Eames, Nathaniel (H52), Ffestiniog, was traveling with his second wife, Sarah, and their two children. Also with them was Nathaniel, Eames’s thirteen-year-old son by his first wife. Other children were left behind in Wales to rejoin them later in Utah. A baby, Jane Hartley Eames, was born to Nathaniel and Sarah while on board the Hartley. This entire family, except for Nathaniel Jr., died within a week of each other before reaching Council Bluffs. Young Nathaniel crossed the plains in 1849 with the David Peters family and appears in the 1850 census with his older brother David, who by that time had also reached the Valley.

Eames, Sarah (H53), was the second wife of Nathaniel Eames (H52) and the mother of two of his children. During the crossing of the Hartley, Sarah gave birth to another child who was given the name of Jane Hartley Eames. Of the family, only Sarah’s stepson, Nathaniel, escaped death on the Missouri River.

Edwards, Peter (H36), Ffestiniog, was the nephew of David Peters and accompanied the Peters family all the way to Utah in 1849.

Evans, Mary (BV171), journeyed from Liverpool to Council Bluffs as a servant to the Benjamin Francis (BV165) family. As four of the six members of the Francis family succumbed to cholera along the Missouri, Mary’s services were no longer needed. She traveled with the Benjamin Thomas (BV96) family from Council Bluffs to Salt Lake City. She married Rees Thomas (BV99) in Utah after the trek across the plains. She died in 1907; Thomas in 1893, both at Avon, Montana.

Evnas, Phoebe (BV51), Merthyr Tydfil, was a servant girl to Elizabeth Lewis. At Council Bluffs, Phoebe left Sister Lewis because of what she felt were unjust demands made on her and went to live with her sister, Margaret Hughes. As a result, her clothes were confiscated and auctioned off. In 1850 she married David D. Bowen (H73), who had been left a widower by the cholera epidemic.

Eynon, James (H28), Pembrokeshire, and his wife, Elizabeth, were the parents of seven daughters. They were some of the earliest converts in Pembrokeshire, South Wales. Elizabeth died of cholera on the Missouri River. Louisa, one of the three daughters who accompanied their parents on the Hartley, became the polygamous second wife to Israel Clark in Utah. When the Manifesto denouncing polygamy appeared in 1890, Louisa went to live with her son Hyrum.

Francis, Benjamin (BV165), Llanybydder, on 30 April 1849 died of cholera, the second victim from among the Buena Vista emigrants. Eight days later his widow, Margaret, had only one daughter left after cholera had taken away one other daughter and two sons. The surviving daughter, Ann, married Thomas Howells four years later and eventually had thirteen children. Margaret died at Salt Lake City in 1886.

Francis, Margaret Evans (BV166), Cardiganshire, while on the Missouri River lost her husband, one daughter, and two sons—all victims of cholera. Margaret’s only child to survive was a daughter Ann, who married Thomas Howells four years later and had thirteen children. Margaret survived even this daughter. Margaret died in Salt Lake City in 1886, twelve years after Ann’s passing in 1874.

Giles, Thomas (BV61), Monmouth shire, had been a lay Baptist minister before joining the Mormon church in 1845. Several months before Thomas and Maria left Wales, their son Thomas had been left blind by an accident in the coal mine. He later pulled a handcart across the plains and gained fame in Utah as the “Blind Harpist.” Thomas Sr. died in 1850 at Council Bluffs. Maria died in 1866 at Ogden, Utah. Their daughter Sarah married Lorin Farr in 1851; she was the second wife of six. She bore him nine children. Sarah died in 1892 at Ogden.

Henshaw, William, Cornwall, although not a Welshman nor a passenger on the Buena Vista or the Hartley, had been instrumental in the conversion of many of the first Welsh Mormon emigrants. He was the first Mormon missionary to proselyte in Merthyr Tydfil, where he experienced considerable success during the three-year period from 1843 to 1846. By the time Dan Jones took Henshaw’s place in December 1845, over five hundred converts had been brought into the LDS faith under Henshaw’s leadership. In 1851 Henshaw sailed to America on the Olympus with his wife and four children. He died at St. Louis in 1870.

Hughes, Margaret Evans (BV112), was the wife of Morgan Hughes (BV111). Her sister Phoebe (BV51), who later married David D. Bowen (H73), was also a passenger on the Buena Vista. After reaching Utah in 1852 Margaret divorced her husband and later married Bishop William Pace.

Hughes, Morgan (BV111), Carmarthen, remained in Council Bludffs with his wife, Margaret, in order to save money to continue on their way to Utah. Morgan and Margaret were divorced after reaching Utah. Morgan later married Hannah David (H16),who bore him thirteen children. Morgan died in 1890 at Spanish Fork; Hannah lived to be almost ninety.

Jeremy, Sarah Evans (BV154), Carmarthenshire, left Wales with her husband Thomas, two sons, and five daughters. On the Missouri River three of her daughters died of cholera in a two-day period. Sarah gave birth to three more daughters and a son after reaching Utah. On two occasions she was left with the full responsibility of rearing her family while her husband returned to Wales as a missionary. She died in 1878.

Jeremy, Thomas (BV153), Llanybydder, was baptized in Carmarthen on 3 March 1846, one of the earliest converts from that area. He became one of Dan Jones’s most intimate friends. He and his wife, Sarah, lost three little girls to cholera in two nights while on the Missouri River. Thomas returned to Wales on two occasions to do missionary work. He died in Salt Lake City in 1891. Sarah died in 1878. Among their many descendants are Marvin Jeremy Ashton, a member of the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and Wendell Jeremy Ashton, former publisher of the Deseret News.

John, Thomas (BV231), according to Dan Jones (letter, March 1851, TD24, 8), was one of the few Welsh who succumbed to “yellow fever.” He spent some time mining for gold in California. By 1854 he was back in Wales, where he wrote a very apologetic letter to Dan Jones for maligning him. The letter appeared in Udgorn Seion (29 July 1854, 451) as did Jones’s letter of forgiveness (29 July 1854, 451–52).

Jones, Benjamin (BV187), “and his whole family, except his wife, became blemished from unfaithfulness. They went away along the road to destruction at a gallop today” (Dan Jones, letter, 30 April 1849, TD9, 123). Benjamin’s son William and his daughter-in-law Marian had been excommunicated two days before the Buena Vista reached New Orleans. There is no evidence that Benjamin’s wife, Jane stayed with the main body of the Saints, although from Dan Jones’s comment, she appears to have been opposed to the rest of her family in their apostasy.

Jones, Dan (BV1), Flintshire, was a mariner and a steamboat captain many years before joining the Church in 1843. It is curious but not inaccurate that the words Saints is entered in his occupation column on the Buena Vista passenger list; for nine of the nineteen years between his conversion to Mormonism and his death in Provo, Utah, in 1862, he was a missionary among his compatriots. Dan’s wife Jane and daughter Claudia traveled on the Emblem, which left Liverpool two weeks after the Buena Vista; however, they caught up with him in Council Bluffs. Dan married Elizabeth Lewis (BV42) shortly after they arrived in Utah. And after returning from his second mission to Wales in 1857, he married Mary Matilda LaTrielle. Jane died in Provo in 1861. Dan was survived by six young children (two by each wife) when he did of chronic lung illness at the age of fifty-one. His daughter Claudia married Hyrum James Dennis in 1866; she died in 1903 at Provo.

Jones, David (BV220), and his wife Emma did not continue with the emigrants past St. Louis. It appears from Dan Jones’s letter (30 April 1849, TD9, 123) that they left with Benjamin Jones and his family, and David Giles (BV215).

Jones, Evan (BV120), at age ninety-two, was the oldest of the emigrants. The ministers at Liverpool tried to dissuade him from crossing the sea and predicted that he would not survive the voyage. “But I am determined, through the power of God, to prove them all false prophets” was his reply, according to Dan Jones. Dan Jones said of him, “He had lost his hair, except for a few strands white as the snow, but by now he had an abundant new crop just like the hair of a child. And he says that he feels younger and younger!” (letter, 18 April 1849, 15, TD7). Evan Jones did complete the crossing of the Atlantic and the ascension of the Mississippi and the Missouri; however, he died just four days after reaching Council Bluffs.

Jones, Jane Melling, Denbighshire, although the wife of Captain Dan Jones, did not sail with him on the Buena Vista. It appears that the plan was for her to remain in Wales until her husband’s return after completing his task of leading the group of emigrants to Salt Lake City. The reason behind this arrangement was the birth of their daughter Claudia on 8 February 1849, less than a week from the time the group was to meet in Swansea en route to Liverpool. In those days new mothers were expected to remain “confined” for several weeks. Apparently Jane did not agree with that procedure nor with the plan that she wait in Wales for the return of her husband, for on 12 March 1849, just two weeks following the departure of the Buena Vista, she and her baby daughter sailed on board the Emblem from Liverpool. They caught up with Dan Jones at Council Bluffs and crossed the plains with him in the George A. Smith Company. Dan and Jane had ten children, only two of whom grew to maturity. Jane died at age forty-two in Provo in 1861.

Jones, Noah (BV12), Merthyr Tydfil, penned “Lament of the Emigrant” (quoted in the text) after the death of his wife, Esther, on board the Highland Mary. He cared for his twelve-year-old daughter, Mary, at St. Louis until his death in 1851 of Bright’s disease. According to his last wish, some friends took Mary across the plains with them. She married James Dunster in 1854 and bore him ten children. She died at Salt Lake City in 1886.

Jones, Owen (H57), Ffestiniog, lost the sight of one eye when he was a child and the other when he was working in a slate quarry in Wales. Even though he was totally blind. Jones worked for twenty-five years as a mail carrier in Brigham City, Utah, having memorized the layout of the city. He died in 1894.

Jones, Thomas (BV184), was the only member of his family to accept Mormonism. He was just twenty years old and still at home. His parents, having heard the scurrilous stories about the Mormons, forbade him to attend any further meetings. According to his descendants, Thomas “climbed out of his bedroom window and ran away to Utah” (York Jones, 6). Thomas married Sage Treharne (BV118) in 1852 and left her a widow ten years later with six small children. Sage married Samuel Leigh (BV76) in 1868 and died in 1897.

Leigh, Daniel (BV31), Llanelli, was a brother to Samuel Leigh (BV76). Daniel’s son Daniel died of cholera on the Missouri. Daniel Sr. crossed the plains in 1849 with his family and settled in Malad, where he died in 1866. His daughter, Mary, married Nephi Campbell; she died in 1932.

Leigh, Samuel (BV76), Llanelli, a brother to Daniel Leigh (BV31), lost his wife and baby to cholera on the Missouri River. The baby was just a week old, having been born on board the Constitution two days before the group arrived at St. Louis on 28 April 1849. One year later Samuel married Mary Treharne (BV115) at Council Bluffs. In 1868 he married Sage Treharne Jones (BV118), who by that time was widow with six small children. In 1876 he returned to Wales as a missionary. He died in Cedar City in 1894. Mary died in 1881; Sage died in 1897.

Lewis, Elizabeth (BV42), Kidwelly, was married to David Lewis when she left Wales with their six children in 1849. Part of David’s sizeable inheritance was sold to his brother James just a few weeks before the departure of the Buena Vista, and David remained in Wales to tidy up the unfinished business. Much of the money was used to assist a number of the other emigrants to get to Council Bluffs and eventually to Utah. Elizabeth crossed the plains in a “spring wagon” and married Captain Dan Jones two weeks after arriving. The marriage had Brigham Young’s approval but was done without the knowledge of Elizabeth’s husband, who was still in Wales. She lived in Manti for several years and eventually settled in Salt Lake City, where she died in 1895.

Lewis, William (BV66), Fishgaurd, was a widower when he emigrated, having left behind a seventeen-year-old daughter and eleven-year-old son. He later sent money for his children to join him in Utah. William wrote poetry under the pen name “Gwilym Ddu” and had won prizes for some of his verses in Wales. Even while crossing the plains he wrote a poem (see TD21). Shortly after arriving in Salt Lake City he married Charity Arms, by whom he had two children. William died in 1875 at Salt Lake City.

Mathias, Thomas (BV133), Carmarthenshire, and his wife, Margaret, stayed in Council Bluffs with two of their three children. A thirteen-year-old daughter, Ada (BV135), went with the Daniel Daniels family to Utah in 1849, possibly to help a widowed mother of two small children also with the Daniels family. Ada died in childbirth in 1861. Her sister, Zillah (BV136), in 1857 became a plural wife to John D. Rees (BV226) and bore him nine children. She died in 1923 at age 84. Thomas Mathias died in Brigham City in 1887; Margaret died in 1871, also at Brigham City.

Morgan, Jane (BV164) Cardiff, was traveling as a maid to the Thomas Jeremy family. Dan Jones wrote about her during the crossing: “Jane Morgans from Cardiff, who had suffered painful sores on her legs off and on for nine years and had been considered completely incurable by the doctors, is worsening. She had become more and more discouraged about the church ordinances, and her faith had weakened” (18 April 1849, 15, TD7). Jane did not continue to Utah with the Jeremys; apparently she crossed in 1852 with the William Morgan Company. She Married John D. Rees (bv226) a few weeks after arriving at Salt Lake City. She died the following year of cancer.

Morgan, Morgan (BV242), Merthyr, Tydfil, stayed with his family in Council Bluffs. Eleven-year-old Sarah had died on the Missouri. The family eventually settled in Malad, where Morgan died in 1878. His wife, Cecilia, died in 1887 at Mt. Pleasant, Utah.

Morgan, Williams (BV10), Glamorganshire, was a widower before the emigration. He was selected to preside over the Welsh branch of the Church at Council Bluffs and led the Welsh in about fifty wagons when they crossed the plains in 1852. All the letters he wrote from Council Bluffs are in Appendix E. His son William died on the Missouri; his son Edward accompanied him unto Utah. In 1853 he married Martha Williams Howells, widow of William Howells, the first missionary to France. Morgan died in 1889 at Willard, Utah.

Nash, Isaac (BV49), Kidwelly, in exchange for financial assistance in journeying to Utah, assisted Elizabeth Lewis prior to the emigration in convincing her husband to sign some papers in the sale of his property in Kidwelly, South Wales. Isaac recorded in his journal numerous details concerning the sea and land travels of the Buena Vista group. His grandmother and brother died of cholera on the Missouri. His wife, Eliza, came close to dying but saved her own life by drinking some water while others were asleep. Isaac and Eliza were divorced after reaching Utah. Isaac married two other wives and spent three months in prison in 1885 for polygamy. He died in 1907 in Franklin, Idaho.

Ormond, John (H22), Pembrokeshire, joined the Church in 1845, one of the first to do so in Pembrokeshire. His wife, Elizabeth, did not share his enthusiasm for Mormonism and refused to accompany him when he wished to emigrate. Three of their unmarried children stayed with their mother in Wales and five went with their father to America. How John convinced his wife to part with little three-year-old Ellinor or the other four is not clear. Elizabeth declared herself a widow four years later and remarried. John eventually married three other wives. He died in 1883 at Knosh, Utah. As for the children who sailed with him on the Hartley, Ellinor and Letitia both died of cholera on 8 Mary 1849; Dorothy died in 1851 at Council Bluffs; John married Jane Jones in 1852 and died in 1913 at Logan; Elizabeth married George Tall in 1856 and died in 1932.

Owens, William (H43), Ffestiniog, left Liverpool with eight members of his family; only three survived to reach Council Bluffs. The parents and four of their children died between 5 May and 18 May on the Mississippi and Missouri rivers. Cadwallader married Elizabeth Jones in 1851 and died in 1898 at Iona, Idaho. Margaret married Robert Wardrop in 1851 and died in 1913. William married Jane Parson in 1857 and died in 1913 at Willard, Utah.

Parry, Ann Jones (BV213), Flintshire, was in the first stages of pregnancy while crossing on the Buena Vista and faced a dual challenge of seasickness and morning sickness. When her husband, Edward, died on the Missouri River, Ann was left a widow with a five-year-old son. Five months later during the crossing of the George A. Smith Company to Salt Lake City when they were thirty miles east of Fort Bridger, Ann gave birth to a son, Robert Dan. In 1851 Ann became the plural wife of David Peters (H33) and bore him five children. She died at age forty in Brigham City, Utah, in 1863.

Parry, Caleb (BV216), Newmarket, and Catherine Vaughn Evans (BV217) were married 26 February 1849, the same day that the Buena Vista set sail. Caleb’s parents were also on board. Eight years after reaching Utah, Caleb became a polygamist. In 1870 he was called to serve a mission in Great Britian. He died a year later in Birmingham, a victim of small pox. Catherine died in 1893 at Marriott, Utah.

Parry, Edward (BV212), Newmarket, a distant relative of Caleb, died on the Missouri. His widow, Ann, bore him a posthumous child five months later on her way to Salt Lake City. She later married David Peters (H33). She died at Brigham City, Utah, in 1863.

Parry, John (BV67), Newmarket, was a preacher with the Baptists and even had his own church, “John Parry’s Association,” fashioned after Alexander Campbell’s views, before converting to Mormonism in 1846. The Parrys were in all likelihood the most distinguished of the Welsh to join the Church up to that time, and it caused great excitement among other Welsh Mormons to count the Parrys as brothers in the gospel. John’s wife, Mary, died of cholera the same day that the Highland Mary landed at Council Bluffs. John accompanied his son Caleb and daughter-in-law Catherine to Utah in 1849. John was asked by Brigham Young to form a choir with his singing compatriots as the nucleus; the choir evolved into what is known today as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. In 1854 John married Harriet Parry, who bore him five more children. The last was born when John was seventy-three. John Parry died in 1868 at Salt Lake City.

Peters, David (H33), Ffestiniog, owned a woolen mill in Ffestiniog, North Wales, before he joined with the Mormons. Of the forty members of the Ffestiniog branch, twenty-seven emigrated in 1849, all but three on board the Hartley. Eleven died of cholera, mostly members of the William Owens and the Nathaniel Eames families. David sold his factory in order to emigrate, the money from which paid for him and his family plus five others. He married Ann Jones Parry (BV213) in 1851, a plural wife. He died in 1898 at Brigham City; his wife Lowry (Laura) died the following year in the same place.

Phillips, David (BV147), and his wife, Mary, lost three little children in three days to cholera on the Missouri. They crossed the plains in Utah in 1849 with their daughter Sarah.

Price, Rees (BV20), Dowlais, had been a scribe and a trustee of the Rev. W. R. Davies’s Baptist congregation in Dowlais before his conversion to Mormonism about one year prior to emigrating. Davies then claimed that Price was not even literate, much less scribe material. In the September 1848 Prophwyd y Jubili (131–33) Price published a long letter in which he explained his reasons for leaving the Baptists and joining with the much-maligned Mormons. Price’s wife, Jane, and one of their five children died on the Missouri.

Rees, John D. (BV226), Merthyr Tydfil, and his wife, Mary, had a stillborn child when changing steamers form the Constitution to the Highland Mary. John returned to Wales as a missionary in 1868. He eventually had four wives: Mary Morgan, who accompanied him on the Buena Vista; Jane Morgan (BV164), whom he married in Salt Lake City in 1852; Zillah Mathias (BV136), whom he married in 1857; and Cecelia Howe, whom he married in 1869. He was the father of twenty-seven children. He died in 1880 at Malad, Idaho. Mary died in 1907 at Brigham City Utah, Jane died in 1853. Zillah died in 1923 in 1923 and Cecelia in 1932.

Roberts, Owen (H37), Ffestiniog, was closely associated with the David Peters family and accompanied them on the 1849 crossing of the plains. He married Sarah Treharne (BV117).

Rowland, Job (BV16), Monmouthshire, had been a Baptist for thirteen years before becoming a Mormon. He was prompted to investigate Mormonism seriously after hearing his minster, the Rev. W. R. Davies of Dowlais, comment that he wished to kill Dan Jones the same way others had killed Joseph Smith. Job married Mary Parry in 1854. His mother (BV17) died at Council Bluffs in 1851. His brother Thomas (BV18) married Isabell Nelson, had eleven children, and died in 1886 at Logan, Utah. His brother Benjamin married Elizabeth Williams, also had eleven children, and died in 1910 at Salt Lake City. Job had five children and died in 1879 at Logan.

Rowland, William (BV173), Hirwaun, was widowed five months before emigrating. He married nineteen-year-old Rachel Evans (BV174), his first wife’s niece, just two months before leaving on the Buena Vista. The Rowlands had the misfortune of being on board the steamer Saluda in April 1852 when the engines exploded. Quite a number of Mormons were killed, including William, two of his children (Rachel and David) by his first wife and the two born to him and Rachel in America (William and Sarah). Rachel, although left permanently crippled, later married James E. Harris and gave birth to eight more children. She died in 1918 at Cedar City. Stepdaughter Mary was badly burned by the accident; she married Thomas James in 1857 and Isaac Riddle in 1861; she died in 1920. Stepdaughter Anne was later adopted by a couple on their way to California.

Thomas, Ann Jones (BV141), Carmarthenshire, lost her husband, Benjamin (BV140), while on the Missouri River and her five-year-old son Daniel while in Council Bluffs. She and her two remaining children crossed the plains with the George A. Smith Company in 1849. Upon reaching the Salt Lake Valley, Ann married her husband’s brother Samuel Thomas (BV145) and bore him four children. She died in 1896 at the age of fifty in Salt Lake City.

Thomas, Benjamin (BV96), Carmerthenshire, and his wife, Letitia, were the parents of the only Buena Vista child to be born on the Missouri River and survive. This was Hannah Maria Thomas, born 13 May 1849, Letitia’s father, Daniel Davis (BV89), had died four days before. Benjamin died in 1887 at Malad, Idaho; Letitia, in 1858.

Thomas, Benjamin (BV140), Carmarthenshire, died of cholera on the Missouri. His brother Samuel (BV145) assumed the responsibility of Benjamin’s family and later married the widow, Ann.

Thomas, Eliza Jane (bV146), Glamorganshire, was twenty-one and single when she left Wales on board the Buena Vista. In Council Bluffs she became acquainted with William Clark (H40), who had crossed on the Hartley and whose wife, Frances, had died while on the Mississippi River in Mary 1849. Eliza and William were married 14 September 1849 during their trek To Salt Lake City with the George A. Smith Company. They eventually had nine children. William died in 1890 in Malad, Idaho. Eliza died in 1899, also in Malad.

Thomas, Hannah Maria, daughter of Benjamin (BV96) and Letitia Thomas (BV97), was born 13 Mary 1849 and was the only Buena Vista child to born on the Missorui River and surive. She married William D. Williams in 1870 and settled in Malad, Idaho, where they reared nine children. Hannah Maria died in 1900.

Thomas, Letitia Davis (BV97), Carmarthenshire, was about six months pregnant when she left Wales with her husband, Benjamin Thomas, and their one-year-old son Daniel. They traveled in company with Letitia parents, her brother and four sisters. Letitia’s father, Daniel Davis (BV89), died 9 May 1849; just four days later, while on the Missouri river, Letitia gave birth to a daughter, Hannah Maria. Letitia died in 1858 as the family traveled down to help settle St. George in southern Utah. She was buried by the side of the road.

Thomas, Rees (BV99), married Mary Evans (BV171) after the trek across the plains. Thomas died in 1893; his wife died in 1907, both at Avon, Montana.

Thomas, Samuel (BV145), Carmarthenshire, was traveling with his brother Benjamin’s family (BV140), and several months after his brother’s death, Samuel married Benjamin’s widow, Ann. Samuel died in Salt Lake City in 1893. Ann died in 1869 also at Salt Lake.

Treharne, Jane (BV116), Carmarthenshire, met Edward Ashton while crossing the plains in 1852. Family tradition has it that the meeting took place while each was holding a corner of a canvas as protection for a woman in labor during a rainstorm (Ashton, 89). Jane and Edward were married about a year and a half later, on 6 February 1854, and eventually had seven children. Elder Marvin J. Ashton, member of the Council of Twelve Apostles, and Wendell J. Ashton, former publisher of the Deseret News, are among their descendants. Jane died in 1897. Edward died in 1904.

Treharne, Mary (BV115), Carmarthenshire, married the widowed Samuel Leigh (BV76) in Council Bluffs in 1850 and became mother to four stepchildren. They crossed the plains in 1852 and settled in Cedar City, Utah. Mary died in 1881. Samuel died in 1894.

Treharne, Sage (BV118), Carmarthenshire, met Thomas Jones (BV184) while they were living in Council Bluffs. They agreed to marry as soon as they reached Salt Lake City. Thomas crossed the plains about a year before Sage. When Sage reached the Salt Lake Valley in October of 1852, they were married as planned. They settled in Cedar City, where they had six children. Sage was widowed in 1862 with the death of Thomas. Six years later she became the plural wife of Samuel Leigh, husband of her sister Mary. Samuel died in 1894. Sage died in 1897 at age sixty-five.

Treharne, Sarah (BV117), Carmarthenshire, married Owen Roberts (H37). Information is lacking of any further details of their lives. Sarah died in 1898.

Treharne, William (BV113), Carmarthenshire, left Wales with his wife, four daughters and son; his oldest son, John, was to bring his wife and two children across the following year. William’s wife, Ann, died of cholera on the Missouri. The following year John Treharne, his wife, and two children all died of cholera before they reached Council Bluffs. William died shortly thereafter at Council Bluffs. His daughters and young son, William were left to find a way to get to Utah. William Jr. married Ann Hughes in 1864 and died in 1907.

Williams, Edward (BV58), was one whose way across to the Salt Lake Valley was paid by Elizabeth Lewis. Apparently the money was intended as a loan, as on 23 April 1850 Edward was required to pay $239.17 to Dan Jones “for assistance in helping him from Wales” (Stout, 367). (Dan Jones and Elizabeth Lewis were married by this time; thus, the money could go to Jones.) Williams was also one who cast his vote against Dan Jones’s proposal to create a separate Welsh kingdom on the other side of the Jordan River. But in a letter dated 20 March 1853 written from San Bernardino (Udgorn Seion, 9 July 1853, 31–34), Williams testified to his parents in Wales that Dan Jones was “a man of God.”

Williams, Eliza (BV38), traveled with her two sons, Rice (BV37) and Samuel (BV39). She died on board the Buena Vista just six days before the immigrants reached New Orleans. She had been a faithful Methodist for fifty-five years before receiving baptism in to the LDS faith but gave thanks on her deathbed that she was dying a Mormon.

Williams, Rice (BV37) and his brother, Samuel (BV39), although both in their forties, were accompanied only by their mother, Eliza (BV38). Eliza died on board the Buena Vista. Rice and Samuel journeyed to Salt Lake City in 1849. Rice had married before the 1850 census.