Religious Education at Brigham Young University offers grants each year from private endowment funds to a number of Latter-day Saint advanced Ph.D. students who are attending accredited institutions of higher learning. These grants are administered by the Religious Studies Center, and are designed to assist students in completing their doctoral dissertations.
A stipend for tuition, supplies, academic travel, books, and other research-related expenses, up to $10,000 (U.S.) per student, per year, is available.
To be considered for a grant you must be:
- A member in good standing of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Enrolled in an accredited, full-time Ph.D. program.
- Studying in a discipline related to the teaching and research missions of Religious Education at BYU.
- Engaged in dissertation research and writing (in rare cases, students preparing for their comprehensive exams, whose exams are scheduled, may be considered).
Grant receipients may reapply in subsequent years if they continue to meet these eligibility requirements. However, a new application with updated materials must be submitted for every new year funds are requested.
Applications must include these required items to be considered:
- Download the grant application form here. Submit the form and other required documentation only when all is complete.
- A letter of recommendation on letterhead stationary from the chair of your dissertation committee indicating your academic progress and his/her support for your application.
- A letter on letterhead stationary from your current LDS bishop affirming your ecclesiastical good standing.
These two letters must be sent directly to the BYU address below, not to you.
Your completed application and letters must be received by 1 April to be considered for funding for the next academic year (applications are not taken on a rolling basis, so submit in March).
Notification is usually made by 1 May. Funding will generally not be available until 15 July or thereafter.
All application materials, including letters, may be scanned and emailed as PDFs.
All application materials must be sent to:
Dr. Dana M. Pike
Associate Dean, Religious Education
c/o Cheryl Snelgrove (email@example.com)
Brigham Young University
Provo, Utah 84602 USA