Fred E. Woods is a professor of Church history and doctrine at Brigham Young University. A native of Southern California, he converted to the LDS Church as a young adult. In 1991, he completed his PhD at the University of Utah in Middle East studies with an emphasis in Biblical Hebrew. He taught in the Church Educational System for twelve years and at Ricks College (now BYU-Idaho) for five years before becoming a professor at BYU in 1998. He was a visiting professor at the University of Missouri-St. Louis in 2001 and at BYU–Hawaii for three summer terms (from 2004 to 2006). He has been a research fellow for other institutions and was awarded the Richard L. Anderson research award in 2002. In 2005, he was appointed as a Richard L. Evans Chair of Religious Understanding. Fred and his wife, JoAnna, are the parents of five children.
- Woods, Fred E.
Woods, Fred E.
Articles/Chapters by: Fred E. Woods
- BYU–Hawaii: A Conversation with Eric B. Shumway from RE 6, no. 3 (2005)
- Scripture Note: Doctrine and Covenants 125 from RE 4, no. 1 (2003)
- 2. Wilford Woodruff and the Gathering of Modern-day Israel, 1834-50 from Banner of the Gospel: Wilford Woodruff
- 19. The Record of Alma: A Prophetic Pattern of the Principles Governing Testimony from The Book of Mormon: Alma, the Testimony of the Word
- 15. The Latter-day Saint Edition of the King James Bible from The King James Bible and the Restoration
- 11. The Arrival of Nineteenth-Century Mormon Emigrants in Salt Lake City from Salt Lake City: The Place Which God Prepared
- 9. Men in Motion: Administering and Organizing the Gathering from A Firm Foundation: Church Organization and Administration
- 2. Jonathan Napela: A Noble Hawaiian Convert from Regional Studies in Latter-day Saint Church History: The Pacific Isles
- A Gifted Gentleman in Perpetual Motion: John Taylor as an Emigration Agent from Champion of Liberty: John Taylor
- Preface from Prelude to the Restoration: Apostasy to the Restored Church
- Icelandic Conversion and Emigration: A Sesquicentennial from Regional Studies in Latter-day Saint Church History: Europe
- 8. Launching Mormonism in the South Pacific: The Voyage of the Timoleon from Go Ye into All the World: The Growth and Development of Mormon Missionary Work
- BYU–Hawaii: A Conversation with Steven C. Wheelwright from RE 16, no. 3 (2015)
- “With All Diligence of Mind” from RE 16, no. 2 (2015)
- The Consecrated Service of Elder John W.F. Volker: The Netherlands Mission from RE 17, no. 1 (2016)