Brent L. Top is a professor of Church history and doctrine at Brigham Young University and is dean of Religious Education. Born and raised in Idaho Falls, Idaho, he served a full-time mission in the Denmark Copenhagen Mission. He received all of his degrees from BYU: a BA in history, an MA in instructional media, and a PhD in instructional science and technology. Prior to joining the BYU Religious Education faculty in 1987, he worked for the Church Educational System as a released-time seminary teacher, an institute teacher, and an administrator. Dr. Top served as associate dean of Religious Education from 1997 to 2002. He held the endowed Professorship in Moral Education for two years prior to his call as president of the Illinois Peoria Mission (2004-2007). He was appointed department chair in June 2009. He and his wife, Wendy, are the parents of four children and reside in Pleasant Grove, Utah, where Brother Top serves as the president of the Pleasant Grove East Stake.
- Top, Brent L.
Top, Brent L.
Articles/Chapters by: Brent L. Top
- 17. Religiosity, Mental Health, and Latter-day Saints: A Preliminary Review of Literature (1923–95) from Latter-day Saint Social Life: Social Research on the LDS Church and its Members
- 18. Religiosity and Delinquency among LDS Adolescents from Latter-day Saint Social Life: Social Research on the LDS Church and its Members
- Raising the Bar: Preparing Future Missionaries from RE 10, no. 1 (2009)
- Spirituality and Self-Worth: The Role of Religion in Shaping Teens’ Self-Image from RE 4, no. 2 (2003)
- Choosing the “Good Part” from RE 2, no. 1 (2001)
- “Seek Learning, Even by Study and Also by Faith”: The Relationship between Personal Religiosity and Academic Achievement among Latter-day Saint High-School Students from RE 2, no. 2 (2001)
- Applying the Atonement from RE 12, no. 2 (2011)
- What's on the Other Side? A Conversation with Brent L. Top on the Spirit World from RE 14, no. 2 (2013)
- 1. Fallible but Faithful: How Simon the Fisherman Became Peter the Rock from The Ministry of Peter, the Chief Apostle